Kutak Rock LLP’s Minneapolis office is seeking to hire a highly motivated attorney to join our full service Employee Benefits Team to deliver creative, specialized, and real‑world solutions to our clients. We provide excellent service in a sophisticated practice through teamwork, collaboration, integrity, client focus, and relationships. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on interesting and challenging employee benefit plan issues with both plan sponsors and plan service providers related to designing, administering, interpreting, and maintaining employee benefit plans in compliance with existing legal requirements as well as legal developments, and in alignment with our clients’ overall objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
Examples of projects you will be involved in as an Associate in Employee Benefits Department include:
- Draft resolutions, plan documents, amendments, and restatements;
- Preparing benefit plan governance documents and training plan fiduciaries on their duties under ERISA;
- Monitoring, analyzing, interpreting, and providing compliance assistance and support, both internally and with clients, on all aspects of existing and proposed benefits-related laws, regulations, and best practices related to the Internal Revenue Code (the Code), ERISA, ACA, HIPAA, and CAA as they affect employee benefit plans;
- Provide strategic legal support to Partners;
- Create modify, and update contracts, agreements, and other legal documents;
- Analyzing and drafting agreements for benefit plan investments;
- Preparing IRS and DOL plan correction filings;
- Respond directly to client inquiries and advise clients on risk mitigation strategies;
- Managing requests for proposals for benefit plan vendors and negotiating contract terms; and
- Create and deliver educational information and training for both clients and other team members to keep them abreast of legal and regulatory developments through individual interaction; internal and external webinars, and other seminars and live events.
Qualifications, Skills and Requirements:
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent time management & ability to manage multiple projects concurrently;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment;
- Ability to exercise independent legal judgment;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Positive attitude;
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environment;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent research skills;
- Ability to synthesize complex material into end-user product;
- Ability to work with clients and partners at a strategic level;
- Proactively communicate and manage expectations;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality;
- Proficiency with Microsoft products and systems;
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with clients, other plan professionals and service providers and colleagues;
- Servant leadership mentality and a commitment to excellence and client service;
- Strong presentation skills;
- A high degree of professionalism; and
- Business development potential.
- Three to five years of particularized experience in compliance and administration of qualified retirement plans, health and welfare benefit plans, and apprenticeship plans. Experience with multiemployer plans is a definite plus as well;
- Law Degree from an ABA accredited law school;
- Licensed and in good standing with the Minnesota State Bar (or the ability to waive into the Minnesota Bar); and
- Your residence in, or are willing to relocate to, the St. Paul-Minneapolis metro area.
WHAT WE PROVIDE:
A career at Kutak Rock is the opportunity to do work that matters. We invest in our associates to advance their careers by providing opportunities for substantive client contact as well as significant involvement in project strategy and management. Kutak Rock provides hands-on learning through working side-by-side with our partners on a variety of sophisticated employee benefit matters. We build leading professionals by supporting speaking engagements and publishing opportunities. Kutak Rock provides a chance to use your knowledge to share, innovate, and learn at a firm that taps the power of collective thinking. Minneapolis offers lawyers a sought after and collaborative environment in which to grow a quality practice with a work‑life balance. We provide competitive salary and benefits at all levels.
Kutak Rock requires all prospective employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to a state or local exemption procedure, or a reasonable accommodation for a bona fide medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief if accommodation does not cause Kutak Rock an undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others in the workplace and/or to the candidate who requested the accommodation.
No agencies please.
Kutak Rock LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse working environment and to principles that promote inclusive practices. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy, caregiver status, gender stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, AIDS/HIV status, handicap or disability, or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran, or any other legally protected category. The firm will provide reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Applicants requiring accommodation in the job application process should contact the Human Resources Department at 402-346-6000 or by emailing HRDepartment@KutakRock.com.